What is the best choke for goose hunting? If you’ve ever asked yourself this question, you may be looking for a new choke tube to hunt geese with that can deliver consistent patterns at long ranges and provide knock down power for clean kills.
A good goose hunting choke is one that works well with your shotgun and ammunition which results in even pellet distribution that limits gaps or holes in the pattern a goose could escape through. Light-modified and cylinder chokes are too open for goose hunting, while full chokes can be too restrictive. The best goose chokes tend to be modified or improved modified that can be used for both decoy and pass shooting scenarios.
In this review we’ll discuss some of the best choke tubes for goose hunting that take a lot of the guess work out of finding a great patterning setup for your shotgun.
Best Chokes for Goose Hunting Comparison List
Best Chokes for Goose Hunting
Below are the top 5 best goose hunting choke tubes that provide exceptional results beyond conventional factory choke tubes.
The best choke for 12 gauge goose hunting is the Patternmaster Code Black. It’s available in two models – Duck and Goose- but the model that we’re most concerned with is the Code Black Goose.
This choke is designed for long range goose hunting situations of up to 70 yards and produces results in line with a full choke. The extended ported design helps release pressures outward which can reduce felt recoil and muzzle jump resulting in faster follow up shots.
Patternmaster code black chokes feature internal rings that slow the wad down in order for the shot column to separate as it exits the muzzle. This cuts down on negative effects that the wad can have on the shot such as flyer pellets and pellet deformation.
The ports in the Code Black choke tube help create a shorter shot string which means more pellets will reach fast moving targets all at once. If you’re looking for a choke tube that can do it all, both close in decoying and long range passing shots out to 70 yards on geese, this is it.
- Performs best with loads less than 1550fps
- Provides shorter shot string and dense patterns out to 70 yards
- Can be used with all shot types, lead, steel, tungsten
- Non-Reflective Bronze titanium coating for corrosion resistance
- Patternmaster's Code Black Goose tubes will extend out the end of your barrel 1 1/2 inches and has an effective range out to 70 yards.
- The difference between the Patternmaster Code Black Duck and Patternmaster Code Black Goose is the length the tube sticks out the barrel. (Duck=1" vs. Goose=1 ") The added length is to accommodate a 3 " shell and still achieve a Full pattern.
- You will see a pattern similar to a Full constriction choke on paper, but because of the patented "stud ring" inside the tube, there is a much shorter shot string.
- This shorter shot string will allow more shot on target all at once, so your down range energy is sure to kill instead of cripple.
- All Patternmaster Code Black tubes are crafted of American made, titanium infused 17-4ph stainless steel and are heat treated to the optimum level for best performance.
While most aftermarket choke tubes work with tungsten based non-toxic shot, Hevi-shot Extended Range Choke Tubes were designed specifically for it. If you goose hunt a lot, you know how effective Hevi-shot, Bismuth, TSS, and Kent Impact loads can be on geese.
Hevi-shot extended range chokes feature elongated ports for pressure expansion and are designed for shots exceeding 40 yards. It’s constructed out of stainless steel for durability in harsh conditions in the goose pit. It’s also one of the most affordable goose chokes available if you’re on a budget.
- Ported for reduced felt recoil
- Designed to be used with Hevi-shot ammo (Hevi-steel, Hevi-metal , etc.)
- Knurled front end for easy installation and removal
- Extended range past 40 yards
- Thread Pattern: Benelli, Beretta Mobilchoke
- Gauge: 12 GA
- Shot Type: Hevi-Shot, lead, or copper plated lead
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Popular Firearm Models: Benelli Nova, M1 Super 90 and M4
If steel shot is more your thing, Carlson’s offers up their Super Steel Shot lineup of choke tubes that pattern well for goose hunting. They come in close range (.715), mid-range (.705), and long range (.695) constrictions. For goose hunting, the midrange and long range are the two chokes to key in on.
The mid-range choke is close to a modified and the long range is closer to a full choke. Both can deliver dense patterns beyond 40 yards. Super steel shot chokes have a 25% greater parallel section which helps keep patterns together longer and reduces flyer pellets compared to standard chokes.
- Knurled end that makes gripping it easy for installation and removal
- Extends 3/4 past the gun barrel to help prevent barrel damage
- 3 sizes available, close range (.715), mid-range (.705), and long range (.695)
- 17-4 Stainless steel construction and corrosion resistant
- Constriction: Long Range / Dia: . 695
- Long Range Choke for taking shots 40 yard and up
- All Steel Shot sizes / Do Not use Steel Faster than 1550 FPS or Steel Shot sizes larger than BB
- Choke Tube extend 3/4" outside the barrel / Longer Parallel Section
- Made of 17-4 Stainless with Knurled Extension and Blue Finish
The Kicks high flyer choke tube is designed to deliver tight patterns at long ranges for goose hunting. It has one of the longest parallel sections of any choke tube which adds up to a 20% increase in pattern density over conventional choke tubes.
The High Flyer choke is an extended ported choke tube which reduces felt recoil and muzzle jump after the shot. Rings inside the choke restrict the wad so that it doesn’t interfere with the shot column. This decreases the amount flyer pellets, shot deformation, and shortens the shot string for fast moving shots on geese.
- Angled ports for reduced felt recoil and muzzle jump resulting in quick follow up shots
- Precision constructed out of high quality stainless steel
- Available in 10 gauge, 12 gauge, and 20 gauge
- Can increase pattern density by 20% due to longer parallel section
Trulock Super Waterfowl Chokes are designed for long range goose hunting situations. They are safe to shot with tungsten ammo and steel shot.
Trulock Super Waterfowl chokes are available in the following constrictions:
- Super Waterfowl Full Choke #1 – .030 constriction, F-BB shot sizes
- Super Waterfowl Full Choke #2 – .040 constriction, BB-3 shot sizes
- Super Waterfowl Full Choke #3 – .050 constriction, For 4 shot size and smaller
The Full choke #1 is the ideal choke tube for goose hunting. It can deliver consistent patterns past 40 yards with large steel shot like BB.
- Designed as a pass shooting choke tube
- Available for Browning, Benelli, Beretta, Remington, Mossberg, and Winchester Shotguns
- Comes in 2-pack and 3-pack carrying cases
- Knurled end for added grip
Tips for Finding the Best Load and Choke for Geese
- Modified and Improved Modified chokes are the most versatile chokes for goose hunting since they can be used for both decoying and pass shooting.
- Ported choke tubes can improve patterns by reducing the negative effects of the wad coming into contact with the shot column as it leaves the barrel.
- Finding a goose load that patterns well is a delicate balancing act between your shotgun, choke, and ammo. Pattern as many choke and ammo combinations as you can to find what works the best.
- Tungsten shot is denser than steel shot and can help cleanly harvest geese at long distances. Consider using a choke specifically designed for Hevi-shot to increase your goose harvest totals.
- Purchasing choke tubes in packs is usually cheaper and you can have multiple chokes to switch out in the field depending on how the birds are working.
Chokes tubes for goose hunting must be able to deliver dense patterns at long ranges. Conventional choke tubes just don’t accomplish this very well, especially with large steel shot.
Aftermarket chokes tubes for goose hunting are specifically designed for shots up to 70 yards for geese that like to hang up over the decoys. They can also be used for pass shooting birds along a flight line. The best choke tube for goose hunting is the Patternmaster Code Black Goose choke. It’s an extended ported choke tube that is designed for shots over 60 yards with steel and hevi-shot.
For a budget option, the Hevi-shot Waterfowl Extended Range Choke is an inexpensive way to test out a premium choke tube with very little investment. Hevi-shot designed this choke to work well with their lineup of ammunition.
Whichever choke you choose for your next goose hunt, patterning it with the ammo you plan to hunt with is the first step before heading out into the field. Finding the best load and choke for geese will make your next hunt more successful.
Wondering what diameter or choke constriction you need? Check out the table here.
Last update on 2020-08-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API